January 29, 2014

The Cure for Creative Block

CREATIVE BLOCK

It's annoying right..?

Yes it definitely IS!

Once in a while, artists tend to fall into that horrible phase and sometimes it's difficult to get out of it. At times it takes a few hours, a day or even more than week! For sure this can be very frustrating, but don't worry! Let me share you a few techniques on how to get out of that evil rut!
 
Usually when I lack the inspiration and motivation to draw something, I step back from the drawing board to think! Take an hour or so looking at artists you admire and jot down a few notes of what you like about their work. My sketchbook is filled with little notes, thoughts and ideas. Although it's not a drawing, you are actually making progress. It's cause you're planning!

"Well Heather... I did that and I still have NO idea what to draw?"

Well, another technique that has helped me tremendously is DRAW some sketch studies. Need to practice your anatomy skills? Draw that! Or perhaps you want to learn how to draw character designs? Draw that as well! Basically, draw things you believe you need to improve on. Copy (and not trace) from reference books, photos or even artists, and just learn. With this technique, you don't have to worry about what to draw, but how to draw it.

So here's an example of a digital speed painting I've done based on a photograph I found on the internet. The reason why I chose to do this landscape is because it's simple! It'll be easy for me to practice my digital painting skills on Photoshop and learn how to paint faster. Notice how my work looks quite different from the original reference? You don't have to copy exactly everything. Add your own little twist!

There you have it. I hope this advice helps.  Let me know if you have a technique that works! Perhaps I'll try it.

Be ambitious and keep creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment